Thursday, March 5, 2009

I will try to fix you

Annoying complaint #2: Doctor, you have to help me. My son got a runny nose and cough three days ago, and he STILL HAS IT! What do I do?!?!? Please FIX HIM.

What the doctor hears: "I'm not leaving here until I have a prescription for antibiotics in my hot little hand." I have to admit, this type of response on the doctors part is annoying, too. Almost as annoying as the complainer. Education is much better than a reluctant antibiotic prescription.



News Flash: There is still no cure for the common cold. And no, antibiotics still don't work.

What can I give my child to make them better? Sorry. Turns out, lots of fluid and lots of rest work the best. I know THAT'S SOOOO BORING. Most studies of cold formulations show that these medications do absolutely nothing for children under the age of 6. Most studies also show they do nothing for children over 6, either, even 35 year old children. I know there is a place for sudafed in adult care, and I personally am a HUGE fan of Nyquil when I am sick. But most groups who have a statement on is (American Academy of Pediatrics, American College of Chest Physicians) say you should avoid cold medications in children under 6 (ACCP goes as far as to set the age at 14). I know what you are thinking.. these medications work great for me, why not my kids? The answer: Kids are different. Imagine that.

Okay, there's more to do than just fluids and rest, but those are the only 'cure' we have. Here's some other things that can help:



Mom: A ton of good old fashioned TLC helps anyone feel a little better when they are sick. I try to convince my wife this is what I need when I am sick, but she says she will never be my mom. Apparently, I already have on of those.

Saline water: Nose drops for the babies. Full-fledged lavages for older kids. It's uncomforable, but it works like a charm. Even better than sudafed. Your at home recipe for a nice salt water lavage: 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp baking soda to 2 cups water. Some recommend pickling/canning salt over table salt and distilled water to tap, but if you aren't going to do it because you don't have those things, just do it with table salt and tap water. They sell bottles to (gently) shoot the stuff up your nose at the store, or you can just use a bulb syringe.

Cool mist: Cool mist humidifier in the room tends to improve symptoms and help with more restful sleep.

Honey: Yes, honey.



No, not THAT honey, this honey:



There's actually good evidence to show that honey helps coughs much more than cough syrup (which should be no surprise, since cough syrup does nothing). There are some good studies to back it up, also. 1/2 tsp for age 2-6yo, 1 tsp 6-11yo, 2 tsp 12yo and over. DO NOT give this to babies Unless the baby is a terrorist and/or poses immediate danger to the safety of all Americans (in other words: unless you want to kill them).

Cough drops: My favorite when I am sick. Only for older than 4 years due to choking danger.

Medicines: Yes, there are some medicines I recommend to my patients. Of course you can use tylenol/motrin for fevers. Also I'm a big fan of using Benadryl/diphenhydramine at night before bed, and maybe again in the day if your child is still taking naps. Remember, I said rest was very important to recovery, and while benadryl may produce very marginal results with the symptoms, they have the perfect side effect for this situation: sleepiness. I am pretty free with it (but do not endorse benadryl use to put annoying kids to sleep).

What should I expect?

Cold and the flu can last a long time. Usually the first few days are the worst and include runny nose, cough, sore throat, and fever. After that, its totally unpredictable. The fever typically subsides, but the runny nose and cough can go on for weeks! I am personally sporting a mild cough that's been with me for 4 weeks.

What about this green snot?




No it, in and of itself, does not mean there is an infection present. It is the natural course of a viral illness to produce thicker/darker mucous as the body fights the illness. Many times is it a sign that you are almost over your illness. But if the dark thick stuff persists for a long time or is accompanied with a new fever (remember your original one went away), I would see a doc to evaluate for infection. Actually, I think any new fever after the initial one has been gone for 2 or more days should probably be evaluated as it could signify an early pneumonia/sinusitis/ear infection.

6 comments:

Barb said...

Thank you Dr. Jay this is very informative. But I can't look at the last picture about snot. Sick!I'm really enjoying your blog. Keep it up.

Hugs from mom said...

Okay, that last picture was just gross. But thanks for the info. It was really helpful.

Dr Jay said...

Okay, I think you people aren't really understanding the last picture. It is a picture of David Beckham. He's famous. That picture would have been gross if it was a normal person. When famous people do stuff like that it isn't gross anymore, its cool. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

misha~sha-sha said...

Hugs from mom recommended this blog and anything she says is pretty much fact in my book. After reading, I think I may know you, Dr. Jay. Thanks for the info. Hope all is well for you and your family!

Mom :) said...

You said, "They sell bottles to (gently) shoot the stuff up your nose at the store, or you can just use a bulb syringe."

So does it work better when gently shot into your nose while in the store?

Dr Jay said...

Hey Misha,
Yeah, you probably know me... Its good to hear from you. Life is good and the family is great. Thanks for checking out the blog. I'm sure you guys had a great time during the primary election! I'm rooting for Mitt in 2012. He needs to save me from the Obama taxes that are coming up.

And Mom, saline lavages are affective wherever you would like to do them. I take no responsibility for what happens if you attempt them at the store or other public place. Have fun with that.