Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Senses working overtime



"Doctor, my 3 year old totally has ADHD. He cannot sit still. He has a hard time concentrating and staying on task. Can I get something to help with him? Please FIX HIM!"

Diagnosis: normal 3 year old.

ADD/ADHD (I'll just refer to it as ADHD from here on out because I'm lazy) seemed to be all the rage in the 90's. Seems to now to have taken a back seat to 'Autistic Spectrum Disorders'. It is still relevant, and while it doesn't get the press/publicity of autism, it is definitely more common.




First question: Does it really exist, or is it just a reflection of a generation of bad parents?
First answer: Yes, it does exist.

There are many kids that seem to very obviously have this diagnosis. The medication to treat is consists of a group of stimulants. If you give someone a stimulant and it CALMS THEM DOWN, I'd say that's pretty good evidence that they have some 'crossed wires' so to speak. It is a highly genetic situation, so kids with it are likely to have parents that suffered similarly as a child (and some continue to as adults).



Second question: Does my child with ADHD need medication?
Second answer: Maybe.


Parenting plays a large roll in ADHD. No, a bad parent cannot make a child get ADHD. There is something that genetically predisposes these children to behave they way they do, but poor parenting can really bring it out. Parent training has found to be so beneficial that many kids not longer need medication after their parents learn the right way to 'parent' them. Most of this training focuses on teaching the child organizational skills including making daily schedules/routines, simple and CONSISTENT house rules, close supervision, and a reward system that focuses on effort, not necessarily results. Sleep schedule is extremely important, as lack of sleep really exacerbates the symptoms. In fact, sometimes obstructive sleep apnea is misdiagnosed as ADHD. So if you have a hyper child that snores, get that checked out. After all that, though, there will still be a quite a few children that will need medication to function well.

Third question: Isn't it just easier to give them a pill to pop than to learn how to be a better parent?
Third answer: Yes.

Studies clearly show that even with medication, proper parenting techniques are invaluable. Do your kid a favor and get the training you need in order to give them the best chance to succeed. I will admit, though, I have had some parents that are so disorganized and ADHD themselves (its genetic, remember) that I don't even bring up parent training, because I don't believe in exercises in futility.

Fourth question: If I eliminate sugar from his diet, will he be normal?
Fourth answer: Probably not.

There are may people out there trying to sell their diet plans to help with ADHD. There is very little scientific basis for this. Most of the time, it is the case of a person who wants to prey upon someone else who is desperate for help (which describes pretty much any parent of an ADHD child). That doesn't mean they don't help at all. There may be a diet component, but I think these dietary needs can vary wildly between children. I don't see any problem trying different diet routines, as long as it doesn't but an undue financial (or other) stress upon your family. NONE of the diets work for every child. The parenting techniques described above help to some extent for EVERY child. Start with those, then consider diet therapy, but keep your expectations low and your wallet tightly closed.





3 comments:

Andrea said...

I love your blog. :) Thanks, Doc!

Robyn said...

That was awesome! I love your explanations of things. I love that last picture too. Very interesting topic. I'm sure you will help a lot of people with concerns about this topic if they take the time to read this.

I thought of what I wanted to ask you to address on this blog. I know a certain 3, almost 4 year old who gets very frustrated and clenches his fists and screams if he can't do something or get his way. It's almost like he has rage inside of him. It's not an everyday thing and doesn't last long, but is it something he (I mean, this child I know and am extremely close to) will outgrow or something I (er...I mean, my neighbor??) need to address with a psychologist?

Dr Jay said...

Thanks Robyn and Andrea.

Robyn, we'll talk about your anonymous 3-4 year old in a future post. For now: don't worry, he's a sweet boy.